October 14, 2020
Dear Maple Heights Families,
As we near the end of the first 9 week grading period (October 30, 2020), we will begin assessing the options we can provide for parents for in person learning for the 2nd 9 weeks in the Maple Heights City Schools. While we are aware that some parents want their children to return to school for face to face learning, our primary responsibility is the safety of our students and staff, and we are relying on the health care experts to help us make that determination.
According to the Cuyahoga County Board of Health (CCBH) public health advisory system which we monitor weekly, the CCBH upgraded the county from “red” to “orange” on August 18th and they have maintained that rating for the past 8 weeks. In this rating, according to the CCBH recommendations, we could safely open our schools to students in a hybrid learning environment.
We will continue to monitor the health advisory system over the next two weeks and if the current trend continues, we will aim to offer families the option to return to school during the 2nd 9 weeks in a hybrid model. Under that recommended model, students will attend school two days a week, and do remote learning three days a week. The number of in person days per week could increase if we have extremely low numbers of children opting to return. For more detail on our “hybrid learning” plan please click HERE. If you have additional questions you need answered to make your decision, please email your questions to FAQ@mapleschools.com.
In order to prepare staffing and school spaces for a hybrid opening, we will need to know the number of students we would have returning to school for the start of the 2nd 9 weeks. Parents who want their children to return to a face to face hybrid learning for the 2nd 9 weeks (should we be able to safely reopen according to CCBH guidelines) must make that commitment by Thursday, October 22nd at 4 p.m. by clicking the link below and filling out all required information.
Please complete a form for each child in your family
If parents do not indicate they want to return to face to face learning by this date, there will be no option available to return until at least the 3rd nine weeks. It is also important in making this decision for parents to note that it is always possible that the district could need to return to remote learning at any time for safety reasons. Thank you for all that you have done as families to support your child’s learning during these unprecedented times.
Dr. Charles Keenan